HELSINKI — Finland’s Social Democrats elected a 34-year-old former transport minister to the post of prime minister on Sunday, making her the youngest head of government in the country’s history. Sanna Marin narrowly won Sunday’s vote to replace outgoing leader Antti Rinne, who resigned on Tuesday after losing the confidence of the coalition partner Centre Party over his handling of a postal strike. “We have a lot of work to do to rebuild trust,” Marin told reporters on Sunday night, while deflecting questions about her age. “I have never thought about my age or gender, I think of the reasons I got into politics and those things for which we have won the trust of the electorate.” At 34, Marin also becomes one of the world’s youngest state leaders, ahead of Ukraine’s prime minister Oleksiy Honcharuk, who is currently 35. Former PM Antti Rinne had headed Finland’s centre-left five-party coalition since June, and Marin’s appointment is unlikely to lead to significant policy changes by the Social Democrat-led administration. “We have a shared government programme which we have committed to,” Marin said. The SDP won April’s legislative elections on promises to end years of economic belt-tightening introduced by the Centre Party… Read full this story
- UK could split apart if Boris Johnson becomes Prime Minister, warns GORDON BROWN
- 'Make your way home': Prime Minister Scott Morrison – who was behind Australia’s famous tourism campaign 'where the bloody hell are you?' - orders tourists to get out of the country amid the coronavirus pandemic
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's wife Sophie has recovered from coronavirus she caught in London and is 'feeling so much better'
- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson admitted to hospital
- Coronavirus | British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, Health Secretary Matt Hancock test positive
- Putin Signs Decree Appointing Mishustin as Russia's Prime Minister - Kremlin
- Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif leaves for Turkey to discuss Yemen crisis
- New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern Will Run Country Throughout Pregnancy: 'That's Just What Ladies do'
- Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan Compares India's Ruling Party With Nazis
- Prime Minister receives new Cambodian Ambassador
Finland picks youngest-ever prime minister have 354 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at December 9, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.