Soon after the violence began, on 5 January, Aamir was standing outside a residence hall in Jawaharlal Nehru University in south Delhi. Aamir, a PhD student, is Muslim, and he asked to be identified only by his first name. He had come to return a book to a classmate when he saw 50 or 60 people approaching the building. They carried metal rods, cricket bats and rocks. One swung a sledgehammer. They were yelling slogans: “Shoot the traitors to the nation!” was a common one. Later, Aamir learned that they had spent the previous half-hour assaulting a gathering of teachers and students down the road. Their faces were masked, but some were still recognisable as members of a Hindu nationalist student group that has become increasingly powerful over the past few years. The group, the Akhil Bharatiya Vidya Parishad (ABVP), is the youth wing of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS). Founded 94 years ago by men who were besotted with Mussolini’s fascists, the RSS is the holding company of Hindu supremacism: of Hindutva, as it’s called. Given its role and its size, it is difficult to find an analogue for the RSS anywhere in the world. In nearly every faith,… Read full this story
- Modi's Hindu Supremacist Agenda Akin to the Nazi Persecution of Jews - Pakistan's PM
- How Modi’s Hindu nationalism complements Trump’s racism
- India’s riot toll rises to 46 as capital remains on edge
- Apple makes a big comeback in India, but will it last?
- Trump and Modi are undermining the pillars of the US-India relationship
- Delhi rocked by deadly protests during Donald Trump's India visit
- New Delhi riots expose India's Hindu-Muslim divide
- Beaten, Molested and Homeless: Hindu or Muslim, Women Became Undocumented Victims of Delhi Riots
- India's Modi appeals for calm as riot toll in capital rises to 24
- As India counts dead, brutality of Hindu-Muslim riot emerges
How Hindu supremacists are tearing India apart have 303 words, post on www.theguardian.com at February 20, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.