SINGAPORE: Parents were slightly spooked last week. After the Singapore Government announced a fresh round of border restrictions, Minister for National Development and co-chair of the multi-ministry taskforce Lawrence Wong had said on Wednesday (Mar 11) he would not rule out the possibility of closing schools to stem the spread of COVID-19 here. However, Mr Wong caveated that authorities would need to be sure that such a drastic measure would be effective in slowing the chain of transmission first. Earlier that same day, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong also listed school closures as one potential measure Singapore can call upon in the event of a spike. Referring to a suite of additional measures as "extra brakes" , he said that they may help slow down community transmission of the virus. LISTEN: What’s behind the different approaches countries are taking towards COVID-19? As cases of new infections in Singapore rose sharply these past few days, some quarters grew increasingly concerned over whether this move would be made. And so many parents breathed a sigh of relief when the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Family and Social Development clarified on Thursday (Mar 19) that schools and kindergartens will reopen after the… Read full this story
- Maury High dates to 1910. Norfolk schools want to make it ready for the 21st century.
- Portsmouth schools have $221,000 to pay their bills – but the city won't allow it
- Possible overdoses send several DC high school students to hospital
- How to explain Santa Fe High School shooting to kids
- Get kids with food allergies ready for back to school with these tips
- School District Threatens Students with Lengthy Suspensions for Joining Anti-Gun Walkouts
- Filmmaker Sajid Khan faces one-year suspension from IFTDA
- Students Suspended Over Walk Outs While Knife-Wielding Parent ‘Gently Escorted’ From Same School (VIDEO)
- The Latest: Preparations underway for Arizona teachers rally
- Second El Paso County public school district prepares to arm teachers, staff
Commentary: How prepared are parents for suspension of schools if that happens? have 312 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at March 20, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.