When interior designer Roystern Goh went house-hunting, he deliberately looked for a fixer-upper and ended up with an old, tired-looking three-room HDB flat. "I wanted a house that was very rundown so I could hack everything away and redo it in line with my design philosophy: Simple luxury," he said. "Every inch of space must not be wasted, that is the ultimate philosophy." The concept he had in mind? Goh wanted it "open, streamlined, minimalist" – a goal that, at first, seemed totally at odds with the condition the flat was in. One principle he bore in mind was making the space "work for him". So the first step he took to translate his vision to reality – and make the 650 sq-ft area look more spacious – was to take down the walls. Arriving at his doorstep, visitors are greeted not by the usual metal gate/wooden front door combo, but by a padlocked glass door that opens onto a small foyer. "I built a glass 'gate' because I want sunlight to come in. And I still want the air-conditioning to fill my entire space," he explained. What's more, when he's not around the accept parcel deliveries, he can provide… Read full this story
- Inside Britain’s most expensive homes – from £250m Mayfair mega-mansion to Hollywood-style pad with glass elevator
- New Two Rivers Home Has Basement Bar, Raised Ceilings, Huge Bath
- Working from home is a luxury many renters in the UK can ill afford
- As flats take over, a defiant HANNAH BETTS says... It will take more than Covid to part me from my heels!
- Hollywood Apocalypse: The rich and famous are fleeing in droves as liberal politics and coronavirus have turned the City of Dreams into a cesspit plagued by junkies and violent criminals
- Young couple raffle off their newly renovated £750,000 two-bedroom Victorian townhouse in London with a large private garden for just £2 a ticket
- 'Scarface' Russian oligarch's estranged wife slams Prince Harry and Meghan Markle for having 'double standards' after couple bought £11million California mansion from the 'dangerous' man who 'held gun to her head and knocked her teeth out'
- £3.5million for an EMPTY plot of land overlooking Britain’s most exclusive resort: Wealthy buyer purchases 30ft strip of grass with a view of Sandbanks and slipway into the sea
- Chairman Wang: 'It's about the process of pursuing wealth'
- How Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's interiors capture their 'newfound freedom': 'Bright and airy' design of their $14million mansion reflects their joy at 'taking back control of their lives', experts reveal
Turning a 650 sq-ft HDB flat into a spacious, streamlined home with a glass 'foyer' have 429 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at March 28, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.