(CNN)The novel coronavirus silently spread in the United States earlier than previously thought, infecting tens of thousands of people in New York and other major cities, researchers say. A new model by the Network Science Institute at Northeastern University in Boston shows the first infections came from China in early or mid-January, and that the virus went undetected because many people were not presenting symptoms. “The disease spread under the radar,” Alessandro Vespignani, director of the Network Science Institute, said on “CNN Newsroom” on Thursday. The model suggests that while Americans were still focused on China, about 28,000 people in major cities — such as New York, San Francisco and Seattle — were infected by March 1. The virus circulated in the community of Santa Clara County, California about three weeks before the first known US coronavirus-related death in Washington state, Dr. Sara Cody, the county’s public health director, told Anderson Cooper on Thursday. Read More This California town is testing every resident for coronavirus and antibodies Earlier this week, Santa Clara County officials announced that tissue samples confirmed two people who died in early February tested positive for coronavirus. That month, a number of physicians saw patients, without travel… Read full this story
- How coronavirus spreads twice as far on trains, buses, public transport
- Social distancing to fight coronavirus spread disrupts Louisiana's festive culture
- Scientists baffled over coronavirus spread within Hong Kong apartment block
- Trump Vows to Carry on With Rallies Despite Coronavirus Spread
- Family of second coronavirus victim to die in the UK say hospital was 'too slow' to isolate him: Caribbean cruise ship passenger, in his 80s, was left 'coughing excessively' on a ward for six hours as relatives fear he could have passed on the infection
- Trump's travel ban will do NOTHING to stop coronavirus spreading person-to-person in the US and could make it worse by giving people a false sense of security, top WHO doctor warns as EU commission slams 'unilateral decision'
- Financial system faces biggest test since 2008 as coronavirus spreads
- Like the flu? Trump's coronavirus messaging confuses public, pandemic researchers say
- US travel restrictions go into effect to combat coronavirus spread
- Don't go to Bali: Australians are urged not to travel to the popular tourist island as coronavirus spreads
Coronavirus spread 'under the radar' in US major cities since January, researchers say have 364 words, post on edition.cnn.com at April 23, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.