MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine government has created an inter-agency body that will look into the 5,655 casualties in the war on drugs campaign. Speaking online before the United Nations Human Rights Council's 44th session on Tuesday, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said he is the chair of the inter-agency body tasked of "conducting a judicious review of the 5,655 anti-illegal drug operations for deaths occurred." The 5,655 is the government's number of deaths in its war on drugs but human rights organizations pegged the number to over 20,000. Guevarra said the. Philippine National Police is obliged by its internal mechanisms to conduct an investigation even without complainants against its enforcement operations that resulted in deaths. He said the review panel examines the pieces of evidence to determine if appropriate charges can be filed against the police officers involved. "This review mechanism will not only reinforce accountability on the job completed [but] it will tighten the web of existing mechanisms to prevent cases of impunity," he said. The body, he said, will also engage the affected families and "provide them with legal options and assistance in the criminal prosecution of law enforcers who have overstepped legal bounds in their operations." Guevarra further… Read full this story
- Music Love Drugs War: Teenage kicks in the shadow of the Troubles
- Ex-Mayor Killed After Duterte's Threat to Slit 'Big Time' Drug Dealers' Throats
- Dogged Stakeknife probe chief won't take no for an answer
- Mother tells ITV News she warned authorities days before arson attack on Deptford home killed her son Joel Urhie
- Who is Suge Knight? CEO of Death Row Records sentenced to 28 years in jail for manslaughter
- Death threat made to lawyer
- Two soldiers die from Ebola in the Congo with death toll now 465
- Hospital drug deaths evidence 'strong'
- Christmas 'drug deaths' investigated
- Gosport War Memorial Hospital: Former police chief says there is ‘strong’ evidence to prosecute for patient deaths
Guevarra tells UNHRC: PH probing death of 5,655 in drug war have 314 words, post on globalnation.inquirer.net at June 30, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.