The UK will have weaker ties with the European Union on foreign and security policy, an ally of the French president, Emmanuel Macron, has said, amid bafflement in Brussels over Boris Johnson’s “global Britain” ambitions. Nathalie Loiseau, Macron’s former Europe minister, who now chairs the European parliament’s security and defence subcommittee, told the Guardian that EU-UK foreign policy cooperation would decline in key areas, including some intelligence-sharing, military operations and the Galileo satellite system. “The UK is an ally in Nato, but there are a few significant topics on which if there is no formal framework the cooperation will not be the same as before.” At the launch of Brexit talks in February the government said that “friendly dialogue and cooperation between the UK and the EU” did not require “an institutionalised relationship”. The UK’s decision not to seek any formal foreign policy links – reversing Johnson’s previous promise – has caused profound disappointment among EU allies. Brussels diplomats are also puzzled by the prime minister’s ambitions for “global Britain” and unsure about where the UK is seeking to position itself vis-a-vis Europe, the United States and China. “Global Britain sounded more like a good weather motto and today we… Read full this story
- Caroline Glick: Never Trump’s Insane Foreign Policy
- Yellow Vests Protest Merkel-Macron Treaty on Integrating Defence, Foreign Policy
- ‘Shame on’ Anti-Government Protesters, Says Macron as France Revolts over Green Fuel Tax
- Merkel and Macron Pool Defence, Foreign Policy in Prototype ‘Sovereign Europe’
- Trump Isn’t Just Reversing Obama’s Foreign Policies. He’s Making it Impossible for His Successor to Go Back to Them.
- Martel: Like Macron, Moon Jae-In Fails to Sway Trump on Key Foreign Policy
- Scientists Say Trump Risking UK National Security, President Promised ‘Carnival Of Resistance’
- Bernie Sanders Is Quietly Remaking the Democrats’ Foreign Policy in His Own Image
- Virgil: President Trump’s Foreign Policy Triumph Annoys the Media
- Maness: The Foreign Policy Swamp: Why They are Wrong and President Trump Is Right on Syria
UK-EU security and foreign policy ties will weaken, says Macron ally have 331 words, post on www.theguardian.com at June 16, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.