More than 11 million people in Latin America are “marching towards the brink of starvation” due to economic conditions exacerbated by the coronavirus pandemic, the U.N.’s food agency chief David Beasley has warned. “The COVID-19 pandemic has just been devastating in Latin America, where the economic storm clouds were already gathering,” Beasley said in a statement put out by the World Food Program (WFP) on Wednesday following his trip to Ecuador and Panama. “Families are struggling to buy basics like food and medicine, as livelihoods are destroyed and the number of people out of work in the region hits 44 million.””We have seen a substantial increase in over 11 million people that are marching towards the brink of starvation,” he said in a video taken in Ecuador during his trip.Before he went on the trip, Beasley told CBS News that Latin America is a “ticking time bomb.” He underscored that point when he returned, arguing that the WFP needs $328 million in additional funding in order to support relief and recovery operations in the region.A spokesperson for the WFP, Shaza Moghraby, shared Beasley’s concerns, telling CBS News that “The visit confirmed our concerns on the profound impact the pandemic will… Read full this story
- Bolsonaro vs. Maduro: The Next Clash in Latin America?
- Trump Promises Venezuelans, 'New Day Is Coming in Latin America'
- Top U.S. Commander: Islamic State, Al-Qaeda, Hezbollah Operating in Latin America
- Gen. Simón Bolívar, Latin America’s Liberator, Has Advice for the US Military
- Children as young as 11 feel they have to work to get food as poverty worsens, heads warn
- UK food deserts: 1.2 million people too far from supermarkets to get cheap fresh food
- SALT Limit Is Hitting 11 Million Tax Returns, Audit Finds
- 3 million people have fled Venezuela since 2015, United Nations says
- US weather: ‘BOMB Cyclone’ rips across central states – up to 70 MILLION people at risk
- CHARLOTTE GILL attends People's Vote march along with EU-sual suspects
More than 11 million people in Latin America are "marching towards the brink of starvation," U.N. food chief warns have 318 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at July 29, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.