‘Everytime the Chinese raised the issue of our patrol crossing the line, I told them let’s not fight over a line that does not exist yet.’ IMAGE: Major General Somnath Jha, then the Brigade Commander in Ladakh, left, at a meeting with a People’s Liberation Army general at a meeting between officers of the Indian and Chinese armies. All Photographs: Kind courtesy Major General Somnath Jha After retiring with 37 years of service behind him in the Indian Army, Major General Somnath Jha has spent the last three years cycling, travelling and farming. The general has served three tours of duty in Ladakh and was among the first officers to spend more than the stipulated three months laid down limit on the Line of Actual Control above 16,000 feet in 1984. He spent six-and-a-half months as second in command with troops of the Ladakh Scouts, whom he calls “warriors, not soldiers. The bravest soldiers I have served with.” He would return to serve in that area two more times, the last one as Brigade Commander in 2008-2009. “Ah, it was so rugged and such a beautiful part of the world,” he says. In his last posting, Major General Jha was… Read full this story
- Bode Miller and his wife open up about daughter's drowning: 'In the blink of an eye'
- History suggest Seahawks won’t blink in Earl Thomas impasse
- Editorial: General Motors Death Watch 226: First to Blink
- Honda "monitoring" Fit EV recharging problems at Ecotality Blink stations
- Amazon Just Bought Itself Another Way Into Your Home
- Top Speed Chicken: Will Goliath Blink First?
- Hero blinks first, raises pay offer in union talks
- 'Pretty Boy Assassin' Mitch Trubisky impressing Bears with his composure
- Bigirimana anxious cup final defeats don’t dim Motherwell’s fine season
- Year end sports countdown story No. 7: For Nazareth driver Sage Karam, IndyCar 2015 season was one to remember, and forget
'We would see who would blink first' have 305 words, post on www.rediff.com at July 15, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.