NEW YORK (Reuters) – The U.N. Security Council is preparing to vote this week on a U.S. proposal to extend an arms embargo on Iran, a move that some diplomats say is bound to fail and put the fate of a nuclear deal between Tehran and world powers further at risk. FILE PHOTO: A sign marks the seat of Iran’s ambassador to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) ahead of a board of governors meeting at the IAEA headquarters in Vienna, Austria March 9, 2020. REUTERS/Lisi Niesner/File Photo A last-minute attempt by Britain, France and Germany to broker a compromise with Russia and China on an arms embargo extension appeared unsuccessful so far, diplomats said. Russia and China, allies of Iran, have long-signaled opposition to the U.S. measure. A Chinese diplomat at the United Nations, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that “extending the arms embargo on Iran in whatever form lacks legal basis and will undermine efforts to preserve” the nuclear deal, adding that there is “no chance” the U.S. text will be adopted. U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Kelly Craft said Russia and China wanted to benefit from the end of the arms embargo. “Russia and China… Read full this story
- Despite U.S. pressure, Europeans remain "united" with Russia and China to "preserve" Iran nuclear deal, diplomats say
- Israel prepares to live with U.S.-Iran nuclear deal and its Middle East impact
- Iran calls on nuclear deal nations to "stand up to America" after Trump administration demands arms embargo extension
- Iran ready to start buying and selling arms with 'many friends,' while US in 'isolation'
- Iran celebrates U.S. "defeat" in U.N. arms embargo push
- Iran's foreign minister mocks "desperate" Pompeo over proposed arms embargo
- U.S. was alarmed by growing flak for India's Iran nuclear vote
- Hardliner Ebrahim Raisi to run in Iran election, could hurt Biden's nuclear deal hopes
- Mystery group claims Iran nuclear site attack amid string of incidents
- Iran commander tells U.S. "take a lesson" from military drills amid nuclear deal standoff
Iran nuclear deal at risk as U.N. council prepares to vote on arms embargo have 340 words, post on www.reuters.com at August 10, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.