NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — On Jan. 1, 1990, David Dinkins, the son of a domestic and a barber, entered the Big Apple’s history books as the first — and to date only — African-American to win election as mayor of the city of New York. Dinkins died on Monday at the age of 93 of natural causes, the NYPD confirmed. “I intend to be the mayor of all the people of New York. This administration will never lead by dividing, by setting some of us against the rest of us or by favoring one group over others,” Dinkins said upon taking office. Watch Marcia Kramer’s report — As CBS2’s Marcia Kramer reported, Dinkins was a kind and dignified man who referred to the city’s diverse population as the “gorgeous mosaic” and he had a soft spot in his heart for children, all children, so much so that after he took the oath of office he said he would dedicate his administration to bettering the life of the children of New York. David Dinkins speaks during the I Have A Dream Foundation “Spirit of the Dream” Gala at Gotham HallCicely Tyson on June 9, 2015 in New York City. (Photo by… Read full this story
- New York City Public School Parents, Teachers React To Reopening Plan: ‘Shocked Me Completely’
- New York City Council Speaker Corey Johnson Drops Out Of 2021 Mayoral Race, Discusses Depression
- New York City to reopen schools, even as Covid spread intensifies
- Trump Bashed New York City, But He Did Better There in 2020
- New York City Teacher Calls Bill de Blasio's Plan to Reopen Elementary Schools 'Reckless'
- Indoor Dining To Be Suspended In New York City, Gov. Cuomo Cites Increasing COVID-19 Hospitalizations
- CBS2 Tours New York City’s New Pandemic Response Lab, Which Can Process 10,000 Rapid Tests Per Day
- New York City bar owner, who has defied coronavirus restrictions, hit deputy with car
- Bethenny Frankel, 50, turns the streets of New York City into her personal runway... before stating she has had 'no surgery' in makeup-free post
- New York City’s Drug Epidemic — Now With Twice As Much Oxy!
David Dinkins, New York City’s Only Black Mayor, Dead At 93 have 337 words, post on newyork.cbslocal.com at November 24, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.