Share to Twitter Share to Linkedin Ever since an Uber UBER automated driving prototype struck and killed a pedestrian in Tempe, Arizona, in March 2018, there's been speculation that the ride-hailing pioneer may abandon its effort to develop its own robotaxis. Uber hasn't entirely given up that effort, but the billions of dollars being spent by its Advanced Technology Group (ATG) is no longer going to count against Uber's balance sheet because it's going to be part of self-driving tech startup Aurora Innovation. Uber is also investing $400 million in the Silicon Valley startup. "There are not going to be a whole lot of players who actually make it across the finish line" in the race to commercialize autonomous driving, Aurora CEO Chris Urmson tells Forbes . "We’re excited about this deal because it accelerates us and creates the space and the pathway for us to be one of those winners." Aurora is acquiring 100% of ATG in an all-stock transaction. Much as it has done with other companies that have acquired its now-former business units. Uber's investment in Aurora pushes the Palo Alto, California-based company's funding to date to more than $1 billion. Cofounded by Urmson, the former head… Read full this story
- Ex-Google engineer Anthony Levandowski charged in Uber self-driving theft case
- How Uber is getting flying cars off the ground
- SoftBank, Toyota Said to Be in Talks to Invest $1 Billion in Uber's Self-Driving Unit
- Ex-Google Engineer Charged in Self-Driving Trade Secrets Case: All You Need to Know
- Waymo: Uber stole our self-driving car tech
- Let’s Go Driverless: Daimler, Bosch Select NVIDIA DRIVE for Robotaxi Fleets
- Uber's Self-Driving Unit Valued at $7.25 Billion in New Investment
- Uber Needs a Tim Cook. Can Its New CEO Deliver?
- Waymo Urges US to 'Promptly' Remove Barriers to Self-Driving Cars
- The Engineer in the Google vs. Uber ‘Stolen Tech’ Case Really Was Terrible
Aurora Acquires Uber’s Automated Driving Unit–And Uber’s Cash have 315 words, post on www.forbes.com at December 7, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.