The Daily Mail has cited an unnamed Labour source as defying party leader Keir Starmer’s call to vote for the London-Brussels trade deal and saying that “we don’t want Brexit blood on our hands”. The remarks come as Starmer faces a rebellion from an array of Europhile Labour lawmakers, including several backbenchers, who are expected to ignore Starmer’s three-line whip to support the deal. Another Labour source reportedly said “this is just Keir over-correcting because he got it so wrong last year”. According to the insider, “it’s hard to take being ordered to back a Brexit deal from a man who upset so many people by not appearing to accept the result of the 2016 referendum”. The source was echoed by MP Neil Coyle, who publicly signaled an unwillingness to back the trade agreement, claiming Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s “downgrade for the UK should not have any Labour fingerprints on it”. © REUTERS / ©UK Parliament/JESSICA TAYLOR Question Period at the House of Commons in London The rebellion by Labour lawmakers was preceded by Starmer stating on Thursday that his party would support what he described as a “thin deal” between the UK and the EU. “At a moment of… Read full this story
- Brexit trade deal 'could be done by Tuesday, Britain's chief negotiator David Frost tells Boris Johnson'
- EU accused of wanting to pick apart a Brexit trade deal within a decade
- EU's Michel Barnier says 'we are not far from take it or leave it moment' as he resumes make-or-break Brexit trade deal talks with Lord Frost in London
- Britain set to strike a post-Brexit trade deal with Canada ‘within days’
- Brexit: Trade deal 'still possible', UK's chief negotiator says ahead of face-to-face talks
- 'Only Few Days Left' to Clinch Brexit Trade Deal, EU Diplomat Warns After Closed-Door Talks
- Brussels, London 'Working Hard' to Ink Post-Brexit Trade Deal, EU's Barnier Says
- Trump says he is working on 'very big and exciting' trade deal with UK
- Post-Brexit Trade Deal May Happen, But Not 'at Any Cost', Rishi Sunak Says
- 'Our red lines haven't changed': Matt Hancock warns Brussels that the UK is 'prepared' for a failure to strike a post-Brexit trade deal with the EU THIS WEEK amid talks deadlock
Brexit Trade Deal Frustrates UK Fisheries Leaders, Labour Politicians, Reports Say have 367 words, post on sputniknews.com at December 27, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.