TOKYO (REUTERS) – Japan aims to admit “large-scale” numbers of overseas visitors for the Tokyo Olympic Games without mandatory vaccinations or quarantines provided tourists submit negative coronavirus test results and download smartphone tracking apps on arrival, the Nikkei business daily reported on Wednesday (Dec 2). The report, which did not identify the sources of its information, didn’t detail how many visitors would be allowed, but said Japan will not restrict foreign travellers’ usage of public transportation systems. Games organisers have sold nearly 1 million tickets overseas, the paper said, compared with 4.5 million tickets sold in Japan. Under current restrictions imposed to curb the spread of Covid-19, travellers are required to self-isolate for 14 days on arrival in Japan as well as signing up for contact-tracing apps. Tokyo organisers were not immediately available for comment when contacted by Reuters. Last month senior International Olympic Committee official Joan Coates said the number of athletes participating the Games would not be reduced and it was down to organisers to make them feel safe. Over 11,000 athletes are expected in Tokyo for the Olympics and thousands more will come for the subsequent Paralympics. The plan to allow large numbers of visitors from overseas… Read full this story
- Japan Says No Plans To Hold 2020 Tokyo Olympics Without Spectators
- Olympic official waves off Trump suggestion Tokyo Games get postponed for a year
- Coronavirus latest: Brazil's Bolsonaro tests positive, media reports
- Japan to quarantine visitors from China, South Korea; insists Olympics on track
- Tokyo governor vows full measures to combat coronavirus during Torch relay
- Exclusive: Japan to buy advanced U.S. radar for missile defense system
- Sony PS5: Games, price, specs, release date and more
- With society shutting down will Tokyo 2020 go ahead?
- Japan committed to hosting Olympics on schedule but Xi visit delayed
- Japan's coronavirus infection rate could be 'tip of the iceberg' as experts call for more testing
Olympics: Japan to allow 'large-scale' overseas visitor numbers for Tokyo Games, local media report have 301 words, post on www.straitstimes.com at December 2, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.