Boris Johnson of Britain and the president of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, hung up after an hourlong phone call.Von der Leyen said Britain and the European Union would send their negotiators back to the table in a last-ditch effort to close the gaps holding up an agreement on their post-Brexit trading relationship. Johnson’s aides released a vivid photo of him on the phone, gesturing in the glare of an old-fashioned desk lamp, like a wartime prime minister battling on behalf of his country.On Monday, the two leaders will speak again to determine whether a deal can be struck by a Dec. 31 deadline. If not, the European Union will begin imposing tariffs on British goods. Four and a half years after Britons voted narrowly to leave the union, the final act of the long-running Brexit drama is at hand.With the outcome so uncertain, Britain and the EU are preparing their domestic audiences either for a landmark accord that will require compromise on both sides — or for a breakdown that will disrupt cross-channel trade, pitching both Britain and Europe into uncharted territory as the economies of both have been battered by the pandemic.Nobody disputes that there are… Read full this story
- Brexit deal RECAP: Rishi Sunak and EU chief announce "decisive breakthrough"
- Sunak now 'needs Starmer' to save his Brexit deal as ex-Tory leaders lead mass rebellion
- Rishi Sunak flies in to Northern Ireland for last-ditch Brexit push
- Rishi Sunak to face down DUP and Tory rebels over Brexit deal
- How The High Friction Leader Endangers The New Workplace
- In Last-Ditch Bid for Brexit Deal, Leaders’ Theatrics Show the Stakes
- Windsor Framework: UK and EU sign off on new Brexit deal - despite DUP opposition
- Windsor Framework: UK and EU to sign off on new Brexit deal - despite DUP opposition
- Windsor Framework Stormont brake: MPs set to vote on first part of new Brexit deal for Northern Ireland
- Windsor Framework: Government wins Brexit deal vote - despite Tory rebellion and DUP anger
The stakes for a last-ditch Brexit deal are very high, evidenced in leaders' theatrics have 331 words, post on auto.economictimes.indiatimes.com at December 7, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.