Video Player Close GENEVA, Feb. 26 (Xinhua) — After the enactment of the Law of the People’s Republic of China on Safeguarding National Security in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), Hong Kong’s law and order is restored, and residents can resume their normal daily lives, a senior HK official told a UN rights body Wednesday. Teresa Cheng, deputy head of the Chinese delegation and secretary for justice of the HKSAR government, said at the 46th Session of the UN Human Rights Council that Hong Kong has now reverted to a safe, rational, inclusive and vibrant society. “In the second half of 2019, due to the civil unrest properties and facilities had been damaged, citizens arbitrarily attacked, the functioning of the legislature and government seriously disrupted, and many citizens and police officers were injured,” she said. She explained that to suppress those violent, subversive and terrorist activities which posed a serious threat to the national security, the Standing Committee of the National People’s Congress of China adopted the national security law in June 2020. “Like the national security laws of many countries, it makes secession, subversion, terrorist activity, and collusion with foreign forces to endanger national security a crime…. Read full this story
- Hong Kong protests over extradition law turn ugly as riot police clash with demonstrators
- Fact check: Was Hong Kong ever promised democracy?
- Hong Kong vows to push ahead with controversial extradition law despite huge protest
- Hong Kong Protests: Cash Bounties Are Being Offered to Identify Masked Anti-China Activists
- Hong Kong to suspend controversial extradition bill after widespread protests
- Hong Kong protests: Satellite photos show scale of China's military build-up near border
- Hong Kong 'suspends work' on controversial extradition bill
- Hong Kong leader suspends extradition bill amid protest pressure
- Hong Kong protesters offer apologies, China doubles down after airport clash
- Hong Kong police retake parliament from protesters
Hong Kong's law and order restored, residents can now resume normal daily lives: official have 301 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at February 27, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.