India has once again pressed for the devolution of powers to the provinces under the 13th amendment (13A) of the Sri Lankan constitution and the system of provincial councils as a meaningful step towards better representation of the island’s Tamil minority. IMAGE: External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar meeting a delegation of the Tamil National Alliance led by Thiru Sampanthan in Colombo, January 7, 2021. Photograph: Courtesy, Dr S Jaishankar on Twitter. During a meeting with Eastern Province’s former chief minister Sivanesaturai Chandrakanthan and former lawmaker Vinayagamurthi Muralitharan, India’s deputy high commissioner Vinod K Jacob on Tuesday discussed bilateral cooperation and implementation of the 13th Amendment. “Deputy HC Vinod K Jacob held separate meetings with delegations led by hon’ble MP S Chandrakanthan (Pillayan) & Mr V Muralitharan (Karuna Amman). Development coop in the East & full implementation of 13th amendment & Provincial Councils were discussed in these meetings,” the Indian high commission in Colombo tweeted on Tuesday.The 13th Amendment provides for devolution of power to the Tamil community. India has been pressing Sri Lanka to implement the 13th Amendment which was brought in after the Indo-Sri Lankan agreement of 1987. However, the Sinhala nationalist parties and the erstwhile Liberation Tigers of… Read full this story
- ‘The India Of My Dreams: A Five Part Eclectic Journey of the Mind’
- Chevrolet Adra Price in India, Interior, Specs, Colors & Mileage
- Sri Lanka Says Easter Attack Leader Died in Hotel Bombing
- Sri Lanka Troops Raid Militants, Find 15 Bodies in House
- Should India throw or ‘strategically’ lose cricket games to win neighborhood friendships?
- Belt and roadblocks: India’s stance vindicated as China’s grandiose BRI plans run into resistance
- In Sri Lanka, a strongman makes a shock re-entry
- Two plus two tango: Despite President Trump’s hollering, US-India ties have actually thrived on his watch
- People power: Democracy has triumphed in Maldives which bodes well for stability in the region
- Cold pressed juicer-Know the health benefits and most popular choices to buy
India again presses Lanka for devolution of powers to provinces have 322 words, post on www.rediff.com at February 3, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.