[Live N.Y.C. mayoral race primary results. ] New York City's largest union endorsed Maya Wiley, the former MSNBC analyst and legal counsel to Mayor Bill de Blasio, in the race for mayor on Friday, giving a lift to her campaign as she tries to prove that she is a leading candidate in the crowded Democratic field. The powerful union, Local 1199 of the Service Employees International Union, provided one of the first big labor endorsements in the wide-open mayor's race and hoped to use its political weight to help elect a Black woman as mayor for the first time. The endorsement was a major win for Ms. Wiley, who is running as a progressive who wants to lead New Yorkers out of the pandemic in a city that has elected only one Black mayor and no women. For Ms. Wiley, who did not qualify for public matching funds this week despite having announced that her campaign had met the threshold, the union's support comes at a critical time. The union was a key early endorser for Mr. de Blasio in 2013, helping him demonstrate that he was a viable candidate in a similarly competitive race. "Maya Wiley has the experience… Read full this story
- Kathryn Garcia Stepping Down As NYC Sanitation Commissioner; Could Run For Mayor Be Next On To-Do List?
- Andy Burnham looks back to 1997 as he launches bid to be next Labour leader
- Labour civil war 2.0: Union baron Len McCluskey leads hard-left revolt that could SPLIT the party after defiant Jeremy Corbyn was suspended for extraordinary statement dismissing anti-Semitism report
- Furious Manchester mayor Andy Burnham threatens to take legal action against Boris Johnson as PM prepares to put his city and Lancashire into 'fundamentally flawed' Tier Three lockdown TODAY
- Lincoln Memorial and White House March is Largest Protest Nationwide While Trump Says Crowd is 'Much Smaller'
- Back to Baghdad: Life in the City of Doom
- Thousands flee fire at Greece's largest migrant camp
- Portland police union boss backing plan to limit assembly rights: report
- Nearly Half of Students in NYC, the Nation's Largest Public School District, Signed Up for All-Remote Learning
- Labour faces 'existential crisis' in Scotland, union boss warns
Maya Wiley Is Backed by N.Y.C.’s Largest Union, Lifting Her Bid for Mayor have 360 words, post on www.nytimes.com at February 19, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.