Some of Texas’ leading political figures have criticized Governor Greg Abbott ‘s decision to lift the state’s mask mandate and ease other COVID-19 restrictions. Abbott, a Republican, announced on Tuesday that the mandate would end and all businesses would be permitted to open at full capacity. The changes will take effect from March 10. The governor will retain the power to reimpose restrictions if there is a significant rise in hospitalizations, but critics said the move to end the mask mandate was premature. Gilberto Hinojosa, chair of the Texas Democratic Party , called Abbott’s decision “extremely dangerous” and referred to him as “the worst governor in modern Texas history.” “This will kill Texans,” Hinojosa said in a statement. “Our country’s infectious disease specialists have warned that we should not put our guard down even as we make progress towards vaccinations.” Chris Turner, chair of the Democratic caucus in the Texas House of Representatives, also took aim at Abbott in a statement issued on Tuesday. “Masks work to slow the spread of COVID-19, plain and simple,” Turner said. “The fastest way we can all get back to normal is to listen to the director of the CDC , who just said… Read full this story
- Jussie Smollett cops insist Empire actor DID stage hoax attack despite prosecutors dropping all charges today
- Brexit vote live: People's Vote campaign says 'time not right' for second referendum amendment
- POLITICO London Playbook: Grimsby dos and don’ts — Last-ditch talks — Happy International Women’s Day
- POLITICO London Playbook: She’s lost control — Public want May to quit — No-deal tariffs, border plans published
- Theresa May ignores Cabinet support for no-deal Brexit as she turns to Jeremy Corbyn for help
Texas Politicians Slam Greg Abbott for Dropping State's Mask Mandate have 278 words, post on www.newsweek.com at March 3, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.