TORONTO (REUTERS) – The man charged with plowing a rented van into dozens of people in Toronto in 2018, killing 10, is guilty of all 26 counts, a judge ruled on Wednesday (March 3). Alek Minassian, 28, told police he was motivated by a desire to punish society for his perceived status as an “incel” – short for involuntary celibate – because he believed women would not have sex with him. The defence failed to prove Minassian’s autism spectrum disorder deprived him of the capacity to know his actions were wrong, Judge Anne Molloy said, in a verdict that was live-streamed on YouTube following a trial held virtually due to the pandemic. Molloy referred to Minassian as “John Doe” because of the way the case had given him the notoriety he said he desired. “Mr Doe thought about committing these crimes over a considerable period of time and made a considered decision to proceed. His attack on these 26 victims that day was an act of a reasoning mind notwithstanding its horrific nature and notwithstanding that he has no remorse for it, and no empathy for his victims.” Whether Minassian rented the van or used it to kill people was… Read full this story
- Paris attack suspect Salah Abdeslam found guilty of attempted murder in separate Brussels trial
- Trump can't be mentioned at trial of border activist charged with harboring illegal immigrants, judge rules
- Arson suspect pleads not guilty in Oakland construction-site fire
- R Kelly is DENIED bond and enters not guilty plea to child porn charges after prosecutors reveal they have THREE tapes that show singer raping girl, 14, who then endures 'sadomasochistic abuse'
- Met Gala 2018: Heavenly bodies! Rihanna steals the show again in racy papal outfit at Catholic-themed red carpet alongside Kim Kardashian and Jennifer Lopez
- Ice cream van man attacks rival with shovel in violent 'turf war' telling him "this is my patch"
- Victims Of Mass Shootings Have Struggled To Hold Larger Forces Responsible In Court After An Attack
- Jewel thief, 52, is found guilty of murdering war veteran, 78, and mother-of-three, 83, during burglaries 21 years ago after original conviction collapsed due to horrendous CPS blunder
- 'Narcissist' Julian Assange faces DECADES in US jail after he was hauled screaming out of Ecuadorian Embassy by EIGHT officers, found guilty of skipping UK bail and charged by American government with hacking 750,000 classified documents
- Judge bans border activist from mentioning Trump in trial
Toronto 2018 van attack suspect Alek Minassian guilty, judge rules have 383 words, post on www.straitstimes.com at March 4, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.