After violent national tragedies — such as Pearl Harbor, the Kennedy assassination, and 9/11 — blue ribbon, bipartisan commissions are named to assemble facts, assign culpability and offer preventive protections against subsequent acts of violence. It has been more than 100 days since a mob assaulted the Capitol in a violent attempt to prevent congressional certification of a presidential election. Proposals for a commission — offered right after the carnage, by Republicans and Democrats alike — have bogged down in partisan sniping. Therefore, Congress should promptly pass legislation authorizing the president to appoint a commission, equally divided between Republicans and Democrats and subject to a veto of either House. ADVERTISEMENT "A commission is really necessary and logical," says Tom Kean, the former congressman and Republican governor of New Jersey who headed the 9/11 Commission. "Congress seems incapable of doing anything bi-partisan. There are important questions to ask — what happened, why, who was involved — and set things in place so it will not happen again." An independent commission — if bi-partisan and with immensely respected figures like Kean and Lee Hamilton, the Democratic vice chair of the 9/11 Commission — has unique advantages. It avoids much of the petty… Read full this story
- POLITICO Brussels Playbook: Macronmania is back — Green dreams — Remembering Ján Kuciak
- Liberal Caputova beats Sefcovic in Slovakia’s presidential poll
- ‘Dignity is the foundational principle of all human rights’ – an interview with Ján Figel
- Faith-based NGOs want more protection for religious believers
- Team Zelensky: Who are they (Photo)
- On Trump's Ties to Russia, Americans Have Made Up Their Minds
- What’s the worst line of business you could be in, if we’re heading for no deal?
- Lawyer wins first round of Slovakia’s presidential election
- Anti-corruption candidate wins first round of Slovakia’s presidential election
- Smith 'gutted' by City sacking
Appointing a credible, non-partisan Jan. 6 commission should not be difficult have 293 words, post on thehill.com at April 18, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.