Representative Pramila Jayapal, a Washington Democrat and chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus , has called for cutting the Defense Department budget after President Joe Biden proposed an increase. The Biden administration released its fiscal year 2022 budget request on Friday, calling for $715 billion to go to the Pentagon . While it’s not guaranteed that the amount requested will be approved by Congress , it would be an $11 billion increase compared to the 2021 fiscal year budget, which set funding to the Defense Department at $704 billion. Progressives have long called for cutting military spending, citing concerns about government waste and a need to end forever wars. Jayapal on Sunday shared a tweet from Public Citizen, a non-profit consumer rights advocacy group and think tank, which said: “We give the Pentagon $2,000,000,000 a day. We should not do that.” Retweeting the post, the Washington congresswoman wrote: “I agree. We need to cut the bloated Pentagon budget.” The CPC chair called for reducing the Pentagon budget in a Saturday Twitter post as well. “We’re in the midst of a crisis that has left millions of families unable to afford food, rent, and bills. But at the same time, we’re… Read full this story
- Progressive Caucus Chair Jayapal Calls Changes to Stimulus Bill 'Relatively Minor Concessions'
- Progressive caucus chair: I think $15 minimum wage will be included in COVID-19 aid package
- House plans for immigration bills add uncertainty on Biden proposal
- Deputy Defense secretary nominee: Transition obstruction created hurdles for Pentagon budget
- Chuck Schumer Pressures Joe Biden on Student Loan Forgiveness
- Progressives Hold Biden to Account on $15 Minimum Wage as He Suggests It Be Dealt With Later
- Progressives push White House to overturn $15 wage ruling
- Progressives Hail Biden Stimulus Bill Wins, Despite Compromises
- 50 House Democrats urge Biden to 'significantly' slash defense budget
- Progressive Rep. Ro Khanna Defends $15 Minimum Wage: Why Don't Moderates Compromise?
Progressive Caucus Chair Jayapal Calls for Cutting Pentagon Budget After Biden Proposes Increase have 298 words, post on www.newsweek.com at April 11, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.