Dame Cressida Dick has failed to get a grip on knife crime because of an over-reliance on stop and search at the expense of bobbies on the beat, a study by an influential think tank has found. In a report backed by the UK's former head of counter-terrorism, the Metropolitan Commissioner is slated for an "unusual and unjustified" strategy of relying on stop and search to stem record levels of knife attacks and deaths rather than neighbourhood policing and targeting drug traffickers. It warned that the number of fatal stabbings in London doubled in the six years to 2019 when all knife crime offences increased by "only" 58 per cent, despite stabbing survival rates rising by 50 per cent. The report by Policy Exchange, a think tank close to Tory ministers, increases the pressure on Dame Cressida, whose relationship with Priti Patel, the Home Secretary, has become strained in the wake of the murder of Sarah Everard by serving Met officer Wayne Couzens. Ms Patel is frustrated with the "defensiveness" in Scotland Yard and has told Dame Cressida to get the force "back on course" by reversing rising crime rates after handing her a new two-year contract. "We cannot have… Read full this story
- Met Police to review 300 sexual misconduct cases involving its officers
- Get rid of the evil cops… or the entire Met Police will be toxic
- Knife crime: Police issue warning amid fears London will see record number of teenage homicides this year
- Prince Charles says 'enough is enough' on knife crime as he teams up with Prince Harry to help tackle it
- Met Police chief Cressida Dick: 'Murders becoming harder to solve'
- Met Police officers admit sharing sick WhatsApp photos of murdered sisters' bodies
- Climate change: Facebook fails to flag denial, study finds
- Black teen accuses police of racism after being stopped 30 times in just two years
- 100 Days In: Mayor Lori Lightfoot Talks Property Taxes, Wrong Raids By Police, And What She’s Learned In Office
- 'A shocking indictment': This data reveals the police response to 140,000 sexual assault reports
Met police failing over rise in knife crime due to over-reliance on stop and search, study finds have 342 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at October 10, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.