Evening briefing: Today’s essential headlines HS2 route scrapped | Boris Johnson “betrayed the North” by scrapping the HS2 Eastern leg to Leeds and scaling down the Northern Powerhouse Rail scheme between Manchester and Leeds, Sir Keir Starmer has said. Grant Shapps told MPs that the new £96 billion Integrated Rail Plan for the North and the Midlands will instead deliver “faster” train journeys both earlier and cheaper. This graphic shows the revised plan and Greg Smith MP sets out why HS2 is unviable, unaffordable and undeliverable . Meanwhile, the original architect of the Prime Minister’s social care plan has criticised Government changes which could make poorer pensioners pay tens of thousands of pounds more towards the cost of their care. Azeem Rafiq | Cricketer apologises for sending anti-Semitic messages Macron blow | French told to work longer and cut public sector pay Warwick stabbing | Two arrested on suspicion of attempted murder City broker | Take as much holiday as you like, staff told Egypt tour | Prince Charles and Camilla visit pyramids – pictures The big story: Austria to reintroduce full lockdowns Is this the start of the nightmare before Christmas? Austria could become the first place in Europe… Read full this story
- Thursday evening UK news briefing: No 10 accused of blackmailing rebel Tory MPs
- Wednesday evening UK news briefing: Tory MPs turn on Boris Johnson
- Thursday morning UK news briefing: NI rise 'will push up prices'
- Tuesday evening UK news briefing: Boris Johnson scraps EU red tape bonfire
- Thursday morning UK news briefing: Chancellor's plan to ease bills crunch
- Wednesday morning UK news briefing: 'Partygate' report looms
- Integrated Rail Plan bad for the North of England, claims Lord McLoughlin
- Rail rage of the North: Red Wall Tories 'are incandescent' as HS3 across Pennines and the HS2 extension to Leeds face the axe
- Thursday evening news briefing: We think Madeleine McCann is dead, say German prosecutors
- Tory Red Wall cracks! Boris savaged over HS2 betrayal - 'Keep your rail promises'
Thursday evening UK news briefing: HS2 Eastern leg to Leeds scrapped under Government rail plans have 315 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at November 18, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.