One of the oldest in-use assets of the U.S. military has seen something of a rebirth in recent years, as the United States once again sets its sights on geopolitical rivals amassing new and powerful tools of their own. First flown nearly seven decades ago in 1952, the B-52 Stratofortress has been in continuous service with the U.S. Air Force since 1955. The heavy bomber pioneered the aerial leg of the U.S. military’s nuclear triad of air, land and sea delivery systems, and it’s set to receive some refurbishments to keep it operational until at least the middle of this century. That extension will give it a roughly 100-year run in the skies with a seemingly ever-evolving capacity. “The B-52 has and will continue to serve as a vital component of the nuclear triad,” the U.S. Air Force Global Strike Command, which is tasked with the military’s strategic deterrence and long-range strike capabilities, told Newsweek . “Originally designed as a high-altitude, high-speed penetrating nuclear bomber, the B-52 now provides long-range cruise missile carriage and launch capabilities using the AGM-86B Air-Launched Cruise Missile (ALCM).” “Over the next decade,” the command added, “the B-52 will receive the ALCM’s follow-on in the Long… Read full this story
- China isn’t using its currency as a Cold War weapon
- China says US infected by ‘political virus’, ties pushed to brink of ‘Cold War’
- China says virus pushing US ties to brink of 'Cold War'
- Analysis | Are the U.S. and China entering a new Cold War?
- China Slows Defense Spending Despite Threat of New Cold War With U.S.
- China says coronavirus pushing US ties to brink of ‘Cold War’
- US says Hong Kong ‘no longer autonomous from China’ after Beijing warned US not to ‘take countries to new Cold War’
- China plans to deploy two aircraft carriers off Taiwan for war games to stoke tensions with Washington as Beijing warns of a 'new Cold War' amid virus blame game
- European Union can play vital role in preventing a 'new Cold War'
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War news – ‘tweaked Warzone’ and USA vs Russia conflict for 2020 game
Cold War bomber B-52 gets new lease on life amid tensions with China, Russia have 357 words, post on www.newsweek.com at December 15, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.