The perception of corruption in Pakistan has worsened since Imran Khan came to power in 2018, according to Transparency International (TI). In its Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) 2021, the Berlin-based watchdog ranked the South Asian country 140th out of 180 countries, with 180th being the most corrupt country in the world. Pakistan was ranked 124th in 2020, 120th in 2019, and 117th in 2018. TI has been compiling the corruption index since 1995. It is based on 13 different sources that depict perceptions of corruption within the public sector, including experts and business people. The sources also include the World Bank, the World Economic Forum, and private risk and consulting firms. According to the CPI 2021, the “deteriorating rule of law” and “state capture” are the main reasons behind a significant rise of corruption in Pakistan. Before coming to power in 2018, Khan, a populist politician, regularly cited TI’s CPI as an “evidence” to malign his political opponents, mainly former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif . Khan’s politics continue to revolve around punishing “corrupt politicians,” who, according to him, are impeding Pakistan’s progress. Tables have turned But the corruption perception has become starker since Khan took the reins. Thus, the latest… Read full this story
- Pakistan PM Khan Begins 'Important' Saudi Visit
- Would hold talks with India if it restores Jammu and Kashmir's pre-Aug 2019 status, says Pakistan PM Imran Khan
- Pakistan PM Slams Macron, Demands Facebook Censor 'Islamophobia'
- 'Islamophobia Growing in the West': Pakistani PM Khan Condemns Killing of Muslim Family in Canada
- CPEC western route to usher in new era of development in Pakistan: PM
- PM identifies anti-corruption a key in public investment
- PM Imran Khan says farmers will not be exploited, assures support
- PM Imran Khan says govt fully focused on agriculture sector
- Pandemonium, chaos in Pakistan National Assembly following budget proposals
- PM Imran Khan launches two new schemes for overseas Pakistanis today
Pakistan: Is PM Khan's government more corrupt than previous administrations? have 297 words, post on www.dw.com at January 26, 2022. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.