I N EARLY SEPTEMBER Boris Johnson set out his vision for beating Margaret Thatcher's 11-year record, and so to become the longest-serving British prime minister of modern times. Like a bumptious schoolboy, he got far ahead of himself. In the coming days or weeks, he may be kicked out of office by his own MP s. More likely, he will cling on in 10 Downing Street under the permanent threat of eviction. Either way, he no longer controls the fate of his own premiership. The immediate cause of Mr Johnson's diminishment is, on the face of it, laughably puerile. Downing Street indulged in routine late-night booze-ups while the rest of the country was under strict lockdown. The prime minister's disingenuous attempts to wriggle out of being blamed did him no good—indeed, they served only to reveal his and his wife's own carousing. Tory MP s will measure the lapse in judgment of a serial transgressor against an 87-seat working majority that Mr Johnson conjured out of nothing, his success in bringing about Brexit, a world-class vaccine programme and a gift for making the political weather. Donald Trump still dominates the Republican Party, despite his part in the attack on Congress… Read full this story
- Very cool, Prime Minister! Boris Johnson hides in a FRIDGE to avoid GMB interview after Piers Morgan ambushes him during milk round stunt - as media minder says 'for f**** sake' LIVE on air
- It's le Snub! Tory Brexiteers slam EU's 'contemptuous treatment' of Britain after Macron and Merkel REFUSE Boris Johnson's request for a trade talks phone call as PM warns No Deal now 'very, very likely'
- Confusion over Boris Johnson's tentative three-stage lockdown exit plan to get Britain back to normal within three months as PM says millions MUST return to work today and can exercise as much as they like - but people STILL cannot see their relatives
- Who'll bail out Boris? Johnson has taken a vast pay cut to be PM, his ex-wife Marina Wheeler is 'cleaning him out' in expensive divorce, he's unable to afford a nanny - and is forced to pay for every No10 meal himself
- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson blames Chinese for coronavirus pandemic telling world leaders it was triggered by 'demented' people who 'grind up the scales of a pangolin' in bid to become more 'potent'
- Boris Johnson 'clashed with NHS chiefs over excessive bureaucracy slowing down vaccine rollout' and vows to test 24-hour hubs - as it's revealed 2.4million have had jab at rate of 165,000-a-day
- Boris Johnson plots workers' rights 'wrecking ball' - all the times he said they were safe
- 'I'm holding him responsible for this mess!' Miriam Margolyes brands Boris Johnson a 'clown' for his handling of COVID-19 (from her holiday home in Tuscany) - after claiming she wished the virus had KILLED him
- Tory rebels seize on more positive Covid data and demand Boris Johnson rethink draconian tier system accusing PM of 'jumping the gun' as Britain's daily cases drop AGAIN to 16,022 while deaths continue to plateau and R-rate finally falls below 1
- No10 defends Boris Johnson's father Stanley, 80, for receiving two doses of Covid vaccine because he was in 'first wave' of recipients before change in policy lengthened gap between jabs
The parable of Boris Johnson have 541 words, post on www.economist.com at January 22, 2022. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.