WASHINGTON — A few hours after the Uvalde school shooting left 19 elementary schoolchildren and two teachers dead, U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz told a group of reporters that policies to restrict guns were off the table. "That doesn't work. It's not effective. It doesn't prevent crime," he said. He's since done a string of other interviews that have inflamed the left and encouraged the right, chastising Democrats and the media. Meanwhile, Texas' senior senator, John Cornyn , has taken a different route. He's quietly, but openly, leading the party to work with some Democrats to pass bipartisan gun legislation — a role familiar to him as he has a track record of moving small pieces of gun policy into law in the wake of mass murders. "I met with Sen. Cornyn this morning," U.S. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell told CNN . "As you know, he went home yesterday to see the family members and begin the fact-finding of this awful massacre, and I have encouraged him to talk with Sen. [Chris] Murphy and Sen. [Kyrsten] Sinema and others who are interested in trying to get an outcome that is directly related to the problem." [ Why 18-year-olds can buy… Read full this story
- Beto O’Rourke Dreams of One Texas. Ted Cruz Sees Another Clearly.
- After Debate, Trump Rips Beto O’Rourke, Endorses Former Rival Ted Cruz
- Trump factor loomed large in Cruz-Beto debate, and both were 'true to form' in stoking the base
- Ted Cruz and Beto O'Rourke are neck and neck in Texas early vote
- Donald Trump Jr. Comes to Texas to Stump for Dad’s Old Rival Ted Cruz
- Cruz Stuck to the Script. Beto Stuck it to Cruz. Which Tactic Will Work?
- Cruz, O'Rourke Senate race raising the stakes in UH political community
- Ted Cruz and Beto O'Rourke face off in first debate
- Ted Cruz hasn't distanced himself from Steve King — once a valuable ally — in final days of race against Beto O’Rourke
- Meet The AP Biology Teacher Who Could Flip The New York Senate
Tale of two senators: Cruz doubles down against gun regulation while Cornyn leads GOP in negotiations have 347 words, post on www.chron.com at May 30, 2022. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.