This is a carousel. Use Next and Previous buttons to navigate 6 CAIRO, Egypt (AP) — The doors of jihad opened for Ayman al-Zawahri as a young doctor in a Cairo clinic, when a visitor arrived with a tempting offer: a chance to treat Islamic fighters battling Soviet forces in Afghanistan. With that offer in 1980, al-Zawahri embarked on a life that over three decades took him to the top of the most feared terrorist group in the world, al-Qaida, after the death of Osama bin Laden. Already an experienced militant who had sought the overthrow of Egypt's "infidel" regime since the age of 15, al-Zawahri took a trip to the Afghan war zone that was just a few weeks long, but it opened his eyes to new possibilities. What he saw was "the training course preparing Muslim mujahedeen youth to launch their upcoming battle with the great power that would rule the world: America," he wrote in a 2001 biography-cum-manifesto. Al-Zawahri, 71, was killed over the weekend by a U.S. drone strike in Afghanistan. President Joe Biden announced the death Monday evening in an address to the nation. The strike is likely to lead to greater disarray within the… Read full this story
- Al-Shabaab: from al-Qaida rejects to a fighting force of thousands
- Arizona woman charged with trying to support al-Qaida
- 'We will not let you use George as a prop': Rev. Al Sharpton lays into Trump's bible photo-op 'agenda' at memorial for George Floyd as Minneapolis mayor sobs uncontrollably at gold coffin
- Pakistan Taliban vow to attack US targets overseas
- Brutal reality sets in for Kenyans after 'senseless' massacre at university
- Egypt executes Libyan militant for plotting deadly attack
- Sudan finds mass grave likely linked to foiled 1990 coup
- Kenya claims one of university gunmen is son of government official
- Russia’s Wagner Mercenaries Have Moved Into Libya. Good Luck With That.
- Would Kamala Harris be disloyal if she were VP?
Al-Zawahri's path went from Cairo clinic to top of al-Qaida have 315 words, post on www.chron.com at August 1, 2022. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.