Abdul Ghafur Hamid (The Jakarta Post) PREMIUM Kuala Lumpur ● Thu, December 29, 2022 Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen symbolically handed over the gavel of the ASEAN chairmanship to Indonesian President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo in Phnom Penh on Nov. 13, the last day of the ASEAN Summit. Jokowi's term for the ASEAN chairmanship will be effective on Jan. 1, 2023. All eyes are now on Indonesia with the high expectation that it could help resolve the protracted Myanmar conflict. Why is it so? Let me start with a brief background of the Myanmar conflict. On the morning of Feb. 1, 2021, the Myanmar military, for the third time since Myanmar gained independence on Jan. 4, 1948, launched a coup d'etat and deposed the democratically elected government of Myanmar. It was on the day the newly elected members of parliament were going to convene the first session of parliament after an overwhelming landslide victory of Aung San Su Kyi's NLD Party in the November 2020 national elections. to Read Full Story SUBSCRIBE NOW Starting from IDR 55,500/month Unlimited access to our web and app content e-Post daily digital newspaper No advertisements, no interruptions Privileged access to our events and programs… Read full this story
- New York Today: Ditmas Park, a ‘Suburb in the City’
- Colorado Takes Fall and Winter by Storm With New Events, Adventures, Lodging Offerings, Eateries and More
- ASEAN Agenda: Trade Tensions, Rohingyas and South China Sea
- Malaysia apologizes for Indonesia flag blunder, reprinting regional games guide
- Church in a bar? SC churches are thinking outside the steeple to reach new members
- “Denveright” plans chart out new direction for rapidly expanding Denver’s transit, parks over two decades
- 3 Years After Hurricane Sandy, Is New York Prepared for the Next Great Storm?
- New MTA boss Joe Lhota welcomes the ‘challenge’ of fixing dysfunctional transit system
- North Korea, Indonesia, Venezuela: Your Monday Briefing
- Myanmar's Suu Kyi under pressure as almost 125,000 Rohingya flee violence
New ASEAN chair Indonesia can change the game in Myanmar have 314 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at December 29, 2022. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.