After a violent uprising by Palestinians against Israel subsided nearly two decades ago, Abu Abdallah, then a leader of a Palestinian militia, stashed away his assault rifle and later became a civil servant in the West Bank city of Nablus. When Israeli troops raided Nablus late last month, Abu Abdallah, now 42, lent that rifle to a group of Palestinian gunmen 20 years younger who were locked in a four-hour gun battle with the soldiers in the Palestinian city. That made him a party to the conflict for the first time in years — one of several former fighters who returned to the fray that day, he said. "We have this feeling that we need to do our duty," said Abu Abdallah, who asked to be identified by his nom de guerre in order to avoid legal repercussions. For years, the Palestinian Authority, the semiautonomous body that administers cities in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, like Nablus, worked with Israel to keep Palestinian militias in relative check. The authority had hoped that building enough trust with Israeli leaders would persuade them to allow the formation of a Palestinian state. But in cities like Nablus, the authority's control is ebbing and its… Read full this story
- For Palestinian Police, Much to Lose if Israel Annexes West Bank Land
- Palestinian Authority lashes out at Israel after five killed on West Bank
- Pompeo Visits West Bank Settlement and Offers Parting Gifts to Israeli Right
- Five Killed in West Bank Shootouts
- ICC opens 'war crimes' investigation in West Bank and Gaza
- Five Palestinian 'terrorists' killed in Israeli raids across West Bank
- ‘Shrinking the Conflict’: What Does Israel’s New Mantra Really Mean?
- Palestinian Leaders Are Banking on Biden Win Next Week
- HSBC and Barclays demand shake-up of open banking over high costs
- HDFC, Axis Bank and Yes Bank lead as corporates return to offices from WFH
In West Bank, New Armed Groups Emerge, and Dormant Ones Stir have 305 words, post on www.nytimes.com at March 4, 2023. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.