JAKARTA — Indonesia’s President Joko Widodo said on Monday (March 6) he supports the country’s election commission in mounting an appeal against a controversial court ruling that calls for the 2024 presidential and general elections to be delayed. His comments come after a Jakarta district court last week ordered the national poll body (KPU) to halt all election preparations on the back of a procedural complaint by an obscure party. The court’s decision has reignited a debate in the world’s third-largest democracy about extending the president’s time in office, which is limited to two five-year terms by the constitution. Some senior political figures have backed the idea while others have warned it could roll back twenty years of democratic reforms brought in after decades of authoritarian rule. Jokowi, as the president is commonly known, said on Monday the government hopes that election preparations are going ahead as planned. “This is a controversy that has elicited pros and cons, but the government supports the KPU to file an appeal,” he told reporters in a video uploaded by the presidential secretariat. [[nid:619852]] He has previously said he rejects the idea of extending his tenure. The Constitutional Court also said in a separate case… Read full this story
- Ukraine Looks to New Election after Landmark Court Ruling
- Appeal Court rules NHS England IS responsible for providing ‘game-changing’ HIV drugs
- Zimbabwe's elections were fair, court rules
- Guatemala election to go ahead despite call for delay and jailing of ex-president
- Theresa May warns there is ‘no going back’ on Brexit after judges rule in Gina Miller’s favour and give MPs final say
- Prabowo's party alliance 'unlikely to outlive court ruling'
- What is the Article 50 appeal, when is the Supreme Court ruling and what effect could it have on Brexit?
- Brazil's Rousseff faces impeachment threat after court ruling
- U.K. court rules Johnson's suspension of Parliament unlawful
- Franco's remains can be exhumed, Spanish Supreme Court rules
Jokowi backs election body appeal against court ruling calling for poll delay have 315 words, post on www.asiaone.com at March 6, 2023. This is cached page on Vietnam Art News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.